The importance of insurance has only grown since it entered the mainstream Nigerian market. Today, the government has enacted compulsory insurance into law, like health insurance for employees, and also vehicle insurance. Focusing on vehicle insurance, its compulsory nature has led to all forms of insurance agencies and agents taking advantage of the high demand by producing fake insurance certificates. This is exactly why NIID Nigeria exists, to validate all compulsory insurance certificates issued by insurance agencies in the nation.
An overview of NIID Nigeria
NIID Nigeria was established in 1971 as an umbrella organization for all other insurance companies in the nation. Basically, its main purpose is to uphold universally accepted standards of everything regarding insurance in the nation. Therefore, it helps protect the common interest of the insurer and insured alike. NIID maintains a positive image for the insurance industry, benefiting the insurer, and also helps the insured fish out the legit agencies from scams.
What is the major function of NIID Nigeria?
Just as earlier said, the major goal of NIID Nigeria is to secure and further the common interests of the insurer and insured in the nation. Basically, the organization does this through the following means:
- Creating and maintaining a positive image for the insurance industry
- Participating in the legislative processes of insurance matters
- Also, implementing governmental and public authorities decisions in the best interest of the industry
- Upholding and promoting universally accepted business ethics
- Ensuring professional integrity of insurance companies in Nigeria
Also, the NIID platform allows anyone access to its central database for checking fake compulsory insurance certificates. Basically, this ensures that you as an insured are never scammed again through issuing a fake certificate.
How do I make use of NIID services as an insured?
The NIID database is accessible to anyone and contains the information of all compulsory insurances in Nigeria. More so, the platform is called ASKNIID and is used by law enforcement agencies to verify insurance certificates. Basically, follow the steps below to check the validity of your certificate:
- Visit their official website at https://askniid.org/
- Navigate to the Check policy tab and select your preferred option
- Supply the details they request and allow the system to run them across their database
- Get your result to know if your certificate is legit or not
Alternatively, you can also dial *565*11# on any mobile phone and follow the prompt to verify your motor insurance
How can I contact NIID Nigeria?
You can contact NIID Nigeria through the following mediums:
264 Ikorodu Road,
Savoil Bus Stop,
P.O. Box 9551, Lagos, Nigeria.
Hotlines: +234-803-040-0804 or +234-701-178-4884
The emergence of the NIID database has reduced fake policy perpetration to a bare minimum in Nigeria. Basically, all you need to check the validity of your certificate is a mobile phone or by visiting NIID’s website.