The Nigerian Insurance Industry Database (NIID) was launched by the Nigerian Insurers Association. It is an insurance database with records of all legal vehicles insured in Nigeria. The NIID ensures compliance with high standards in the insurance industry. They protect the interests of all insurers in the country.
You can verify the authenticity of any motor insurance you buy on their website or by using their product, Askniid. Also, NIID cannot be manipulated since it is an independent institution. So you do not need to worry about getting scammed.
Learn how you can verify car insurance in this article.
How Can I Check My Car Insurance Policy in Nigeria?
The only way you verify the genuineness of the car insurance you bought is by checking it on NIID platform. Here’s how to do the NIID check:
1. Go to the official NIID website at http://www.askniid.org/VerifyPolicy.aspx
2. Next, choose the vehicle policy you would like to check. The choices there are single or fleet.
3. Next, select how you prefer to carry out the search. You can do this either with your policy number or even your car’s registration number. For any option you choose, you input the number on the search box given and then click on search.
4. The platform will display the status of your vehicle’s insurance. Usually, it is shown with red ink beneath the search button.
The platform shows details about your car. Such details include your car’s brand, colour, and model, as well as the insurer’s name.
Why is it Important For My Car Insurance To Be On the NIID Platform?
When there is a car accident, the police first refer to the NIID list before making their decision. Any vehicle that is not found on the list, will be impounded and the driver will be penalized. If your vehicle is not registered in NIID, it indicates your car insurance license is illegal. This can get you into trouble.
How can I verify if an insurance company is legit?
Make sure you verify the legitimacy of the company before purchasing insurance. You can do this with NAICOM (National Insurance Commission). NAICOM has a list of all licensed insurance firms in Nigeria. Check their website for confirmation. To check their website, follow the steps below:
1. Visit their website, www.naicom.gov.ng
2. Next, click on insurance industry
3. Next, click on the category of the insurance company you want to check.
How can I contact NIID?
You can contact NIId via the following ways:
Address: 264 Ikorodu Road, Savoil Bus Stop, Ilupeju, Lagos, Nigeria. P.O. Box 9551, Lagos, Nigeria.
Phone Numbers:+234-817-078-4444 or +234-802-990-8531
Hotlines: +234-803-040-0804 or +234-701-178-4884
The NIID safeguards people from the activities of illegal insurance. It is mandatory for car owners to do the NIId insurance verification to avoid fraudsters.
To verify the validity of your motor insurance, visit their website to search. The process is easy, hassle-free, and free.