We’re doing a rundown of the 5 top facts about the National Health Insurance Scheme. Did you know these facts? Let’s find out.
- The National Health Insurance Scheme [NHIS] is a corporate body established under Act 35 of 1999 by the Federal Government of Nigeria.
- The NHIS commenced official operations in June 2005 to improve the health of all Nigerians at an affordable cost.
- About 62 Health Maintenance Organisations [HMOs] are currently registered and accredited under the National Health Insurance Scheme.
- Depending on your HMO plan, you can include 2, 3 or even 5 dependants.
- The NHIS operates a pre-payment plan where participants pay a fixed regular amount.
To wrap it up, The National Health Scheme was launched to address the pathetic state of health in the country. Its inauguration is a sequel to the mortality rates and health complications that have ravaged Nigeria. The National Health Insurance Scheme is regarded as the most widely used form of healthcare financing worldwide.